Anticorruption and Compliance
Central America has been classified as high-risk region when it comes to public sector corruption. According to the Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index of 2018, Costa Rica is the only country in the region that obtained an above average score compared to all the countries around the world- giving us some insight about the region; therefore, at Guardia Montes we advise on all aspects of anti-corruption law and compliance. Our team provides legal counsel to national and multinational companies to guarantee their compliance with the domestic and international laws and treaties on anti-corruption issues- precisely with regards to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”).Our attorneys at Guardia Montes have a dual approach when it comes evaluate what our clients may need in this area: a preventive approach to help our clients avoid possible contingencies, and a defensive approach when it comes to minimize the impact of a contingency that may have appeared. Our skills include a broad variety of services such as:
- Conducting due diligence on M&A targets and intermediaries.
- Designing, implementing, or improving compliance programs.
- Conducting anti-corruption training.
- Identifying company-specific risks related to bribery, fraud and corruption, and implementing solutions to mitigate those risks in numerous jurisdictions.
- Directing civil litigations that often entail in anticorruption investigations.
- Leading internal investigations.
- Monitoring compliance with anti-corruption laws and government agreements.
- Counseling clients on anti-corruption issues related to strategic alliances and joint ventures involving international businesses and sales operations.
- Negotiating with government enforcement authorities.
- Handling post-resolution compliance responsibilities.
At Guardia Montes we will give you the best legal counsel to undermine your company’s consequences that may arise in form of government investigations, sanctions, prosecutions and/or reputational damages. We are ready to assist you.
As of September 1st, 2019 Costa Rica has made effective its law to comply with international standards regarding tax and financial transparency has...
During the first trimester of 2019, all the corporations and legal entities have the obligation to provide to the Tax Administration, to the Costa...
The use of drones has increased in Costa Rica over the last few years. It is common to see these aircrafts flying over concerts or sports events,...
San José, Costa Rica San Pedro de Montes de Oca Ofiplaza Del Este, Edificio C
Tel: (506) 2280-1718 / Fax: 2253-6685
Apdo. 7-3410-1000 San José